Friday, March 03, 2006

The joy of pet ownership

All my life I have had a pet or 2 or 3 at 1 point 5 plus fish. The joy of pet ownership is really hard to explain. When I was a young lad and my first dog Bea walked beside me without the leash, I thought I was the coolest kid on the block. When she died it was a very sad moment in my life. But I learned a lot from her, responsibility, trust, organization and many other things. Later in life (after I moved out) I at one point had 30 fish, 2 cats 2 birds a dog and an Iguana...all at the same time in a small apartment. There would be days I would just sit and watch my fish swim around, as each had his or her own personality. I even had a fish that would let me pet it. Fish are by far the easiest pet to maintain. My Iguana was the coolest, letting him out to run around with the cats, pure joy. I inherited 1 cat and the birds from a family that was moving....They forgot to comeback and get the animals. Watching the cats try to get inside the birdcage was some of the funniest moments of my life.



Then we had the family member that wanted to be a frog...I guess we all have a little animal in us...

Now, my current pet FOXY has brought so much joy to Angels life and mine. She's our babydoggie...She keeps me active, and I don't have to wipe her. She likes long walks on the beach, chasing after anyone that's not white (she did not learn that from me) and playing with the neighborhood kids. She truly is a great fit.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Um, yeah. Thanks for the great photo, Jim.
Ribbit, ribbit.

Jennifer said...

HAHAHA! love the pic jim! where did you pull that from? anyway, i totally agree on the pet story thing. foxy is perfect for you guys and i dont think dawn should shun something she has never tried for herSELF. she thinks life is good, but pets only make it better!

Jennifer said...

oh yeah. when did we get bea?

Unknown said...

yeah...where DID you pull that from?

And Jen...when we lived at Freunden Haus I had 2 hamsters for 3 days.

Jim and Angel said...

We got Bea the second time we were in Oklahoma from the nice old man next door named Elmer.

Jim and Angel said...

That picture...I have so many "good" pitures of everyone...Almost 1 for everything

Jennifer said...

we got bea from elmer? i loved that old man!